Thursday, January 20, 2011

Avocado Sushi Rolls
























Avocado Sushi Rolls
avocado
white rice
nori sheets

The idea of making your own sushi rolls at home may seem intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, it’s so quick and simple to do.  If you want to get fancy about it, you can go out and buy a sushi rolling kit that gives you specific tools to use for rolling sushi.  I don’t use one.  I have used them before, but much prefer to just roll them up on my own with my hands.  That seems to work just fine for me, so it’s what I continue to do.

First, let me start off by dealing with the rice issue.  You can buy sushi rice in the store and make it at home.  The goal is to have rice that is clumpy/sticky so that it stays nicely in the roll.  I don’t do this though.  I’m all about convenience and availability when it comes to food I want to make (and make often).  My tip for the rice is to order a pint/quart of white rice from your neighborhood chinese restaurant and use that instead.  It works perfectly, it saves you time, and it’s got the consistency you want for the roll.  

After you’ve got your rice, you’re ready to roll.  Cut the avocado lengthwise into slices and put them aside.  Lay a nori sheet out on a cutting board and spoon some rice onto the sheet and spread the rice out evenly.  The rice should cover most of the nori sheet, leaving an inch free from rice at the end.  Place and line up 2-3 slices of avocado across the center of the sheet.  Start rolling the nori up tightly, using your hands to secure the roll and make sure it keeps its shape.  Once you get to the inch you left free from rice, dab some water along it (to help seal the roll) and finish rolling up the nori.  Grab a good knife and first cut the roll in half and then continue cutting into pieces (maybe about an inch in size, but you can decide how big you want your pieces to be).  Repeat the steps for as many rolls as you want to make depending on the amount of ingredients you have.  I always make more than one because more sushi is better than not enough.  I can eat a lot of these.  

Also, wasabi and soy sauce complete these rolls, so don’t forget them!  If you aren’t a fan of avocado, then you can substitute it with cucumber, carrots, asparagus, etc.  Eating sushi doesn’t have to be expensive; if you make it at home, it will save you some money and as you get the hang of it, you’ll want to make sushi rolls for yourself, your friends, and your family.  My prediction is that they will be very impressed with your awesome sushi skills and you can then decide if you want to tell them how truly easy it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment