Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sorta French Onion Soup





















Sorta French Onion Soup

  • 5-6 medium onions 
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • salt and pepper to taste


Got a lot of onions in need of a good home?  Try out this easy, vegan version of French onion soup.  It's "sorta" French onion soup because I sorta changed it up a bit.  I got rid of the cheese on top (which you can still add if you'd like) and used veggie broth instead of beef or chicken broth (which most recipes use).  Without the cheese, it's healthier, but if you're a cheese (or soy-cheese) fanatic, then go for it.

What to do....

Heat the olive oil (medium-high) in a soup pot while you dice the onions and mince the garlic.  Toss the onions and garlic in the pot and stir for a few minutes until the onions begin to become slightly translucent and somewhat soft.  Add a few pinches of salt and pepper, then cover the pot.  Let the onions cook down for 15-20 minutes.  Stir every so often during this time to keep things moving along nicely.  Once the onions are cooked down and are now completely soft, add in the veggie broth, flour, and soy sauce.  Stir together and let the soup sit for another 5-10 minutes.

To serve,  I recommend placing a piece of whole wheat/whole grain bread at the bottom of a bowl and then pouring the soup on top of it.  That's what I did and let me tell you, it's a good idea.  Trust me. This was my first time making this kind of soup and I think for next time, I will make some sort of totally awesome bread bowl version of it.  I used to really love French onion soup back when I still ate cheese and for some reason, I never thought to make it on my own (but veganize it).

I seriously love making soups, especially in the winter, so if you have any great soup recipes or ideas, send them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment