Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Smoked Coconut Club at Memphis Taproom





















Smoked Coconut Club @ Memphis Taproom

Memphis Taproom
2331 E. Cumberland St.
Philadelphia, PA 19125
http://memphistaproom.com/


Check out that sandwich!  This is the Smoked Coconut Club (vegan!) at Memphis Taproom in Kensington.  Let me start by saying this sandwich held a lot of intrigue with me for several reasons.  First, I love vegan club sandwiches and can definitely get down with trying any version offered.  This one is particularly attractive to the taste buds because it has smoked coconut on it!  More about that in a moment.  The second intriguing element to this sandwich is that it was featured on the Food Network not too long ago on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  I think it's cool that a sandwich like this got some air time on the Food Network, so the allure of this bad boy only grew stronger.  Lastly, I never really make it up to that area of Philly.  Living in South Philly is pretty awesome for numerous reasons (mainly gastronomic and libations related---nothing wrong with that!), and North Philly, while home to many fantastic restaurants and bars, can seem like a bit of a hike at times.  This, my friends, is why I have only been to Memphis Taproom twice.  So, needless to say (but I said it), the appeal of this sandwich is mighty and indeed, three-fold.

The sandwich is composed of grilled lemon garlic tofu, smoked coconut, and a tomato herb "mayo."  The smoked coconut is the star here, and ultimately, the main reason I liked it.  The smokiness and chewiness create a bacon-like sensation to model it after a more traditional club.  It's unique and much appreciated.  With a side of fries and a Yards Brawler, I was a happy eater.

I have a few criticisms though.  Being that this was only my second time at Memphis Taproom, I don't know much about the overall vibe of the place on a regular basis.  I like the layout and comfortable feel, but the service was not so great during this visit.  Bleh--I hate saying stuff like that.  I'm not a demanding person, and I am incredibly patient (hello...I teach 6th graders!), but I pretty much felt like an inconvenience.  Actually, I felt sort of invisible. Maybe it was just that day, maybe the server was in a bad mood,  maybe I should have drank more beer and it wouldn't have mattered!  Regardless, the meal was good, so I'm pleased with that and I'd certainly go again.

I say.....try this sandwich.  You'll like it.  It might not be the Tempeh Club at Royal Tavern, but I'd go back for more.

4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. As for service, I have gone to some sorry looking places but had great food, nonetheless.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would always say yes to more beer, but still: good service should be a right, not a privilege. I hate feeling like I'm bugging when I'm spending my hard-earned money somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the episode on DDD last night that had this sandwich. I gotta say, it blew me away from a concept standpoint. I have never had or thought of smoked coconut, but it looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of folks speculated that Google bought Motorola for their patents.
    This doesnt smell like a Black Friday kind of offer, either.



    my site: san diego hdtv

    ReplyDelete