Monday, February 21, 2011

Blackbird Pizzeria aka Vegan Pizza Paradise?













Blackbird Pizzeria
507 S 6th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147
(215) 625-6660

http://www.blackbirdpizzeria.com/


Instead of posting about something I made, I am posting about something I ate.  It's time to branch out from just recipes on this 'ol blog.  Philadelphia has some really great options for vegan/vegetarian food and well, I want to talk about it. So, that's that.


Now, on to the food.  Yesterday I realized that not only had I never been to Blackbird Pizzeria...I had no idea it existed!  Shame on me.  I fixed this immediately by putting on my winter coat, grabbing my guy, and walking out the door mere minutes after finding out about it.  An all-vegan pizzeria in Philly?  I had to know more.  Blackbird is located on 6th Street (and just about South Street).  Everything on the menu is vegan and the selections are creative, yet simple.  When it comes to pizza, you don't have to go crazy, but it helps to have some stand-out options for something a little different and original.  Blackbird also has sandwiches and salads to round out the menu, including their version of a Philly cheesesteak.  Hey, it wouldn't be a Philly pizzeria without one, right?  


I wanted to stick with pizza, though.  I had a slice of the Haymaker (fantastic name) which is made up of: garlic butter, seitan sausage, onions, red sauce, and fresh oregano.  Seriously delicious.  Seriously.  I wanted more.  They use daiya "cheese" as the cheese substitute.  I had never tried or used daiya before in my cooking, and I think I can certainly find a place for it now.  It was a pretty darn decent substitute.  Vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters alike can find something to happily devour here.  Check out their menu online to see what Blackbird Pizzeria is all about.  Now, if you'll excuse me...I'm going to continue gazing at these pictures to reminisce on all that yummy pizza-goodness.  

Here's the Haymaker in it all its greatness:






































5 comments:

  1. can you get the yukon next time and i will vicariously live through you?

    nacho? fungi? i love my meat, but sign me up next time i am in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa...the yukon pizza is going to happen next time i go!! doesn't that sound like starch heaven?

    next time you're here, we are going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very niсe post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    аnd wanted to ѕay that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    Check out my web blog; bloodymarybreakfast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent way of tellіng, and fаstidіous аrticle
    to take faсts about my presentation topic, which i am going to convey іn university.


    Feеl freе to visіt my ωeb site - ip-50-62-224-156.ip.Secureserver.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspіring quest there. What occurred after?
    Good luсκ!

    my ωeblog :: www.mylittleponynews.com

    ReplyDelete