Sunday, July 31, 2011

Not So Noodle Soup

 Not So Noodle Soup

  • one package Tofu Shirataki "noodles"
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • one small onion
  • one cup diced carrots
  • salt and pepper to taste

Yes, it's summer and the thought of eating soup when it's this unbelievably hot may not have everyone running for their spoons, but admittedly, I can get tired of waiting for the cooler weather to come around to enjoy a nice bowl of soup.  With that in mind, I decided to try something new.  Of course, noodle soup is not a new idea, but for me, using tofu based noodles instead of pasta noodles was a little different.  Right?  For this, I used something called Tofu Shirataki (a pasta alternative using a blend of yams and tofu) to make this soup.  You don't have to worry about looking for it at some specialty food store if you're interested because I found this at Shop-Rite and it was pretty cheap.  Here's a photo of what it looks like:




















The "noodles" are vegan, low-carb, low-calorie, and gluten-free, so if any of that sounds good to you, I'd suggest picking it up and seeing if you like it.  It doesn't taste exactly like pasta, but that's because it's not.   You know?  OK...first, you'll need to drain, rinse, and dry the noodles before adding them to the soup.  I did that and simply dried and pressed them on some paper towel.  Like this:

 


















Let them hang out on the side while you get the rest of the soup going.  Add the broth to your soup pot and cook on medium-high.  Toss in the onion and carrot once you've diced them all up.  Let this cook for about 10-15 minutes or so.  Add in some salt, pepper, or other spices if you'd like.  



















After the broth has been sufficiently simmering away, add the noodles to the pot and continue to cook on low for another 5 minutes.  The noodles really don't need long to cook, so after 5 minutes, taste one.  If you think it needs a little more time, give it some time.  Good things come to those who wait....or whatever. This is your call.  You're the chef! 

My thoughts:  the Not So Noodle Soup is a welcomed change and can be a healthier option for anyone interested in eating less pasta or adhering to a gluten-free diet.  Or maybe you're like me and you just want to try something a little bit different.  

Lastly, here's the finished soup...close-up style:



1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different website and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.



    my web page :: Nike Air Max [smu-fr.org]

    ReplyDelete