Wednesday, July 20, 2011

All-in Super Salad Bowl





















All-in Super Salad Bowl

The ingredients are going to vary for this one, but for specificity's sake, the items pictured are:

  • romaine lettuce (bagged)
  • sliced onion (half of a small onion)
  • mushrooms
  • shredded carrots
  • diced grape tomatoes 
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • sliced cucumbers
  • goddess dressing (I love this stuff, but you can use any dressing you prefer)
This post is a dedication to those of you that like to eat salad (or want to eat more salad), but don't want to be all fancy about it.   Recipes that call for ingredients you have to get at a speciality market or involve crazy time consuming preparation are not the most accessible.  Don't get my wrong, a "fancy" salad is appreciated, but sometimes you just want to grab a bunch of ingredients from your refrigerator and dump them all into a bowl.  Which is exactly what I did.  The key is to make sure you will indeed eat more salad is to keep your fridge stocked up with fresh fruits and veggies.  Otherwise, you end up becoming bffs with your delivery guy who may or may not be judging you as you open the door in your pajamas for the 3rd time this week.  I'm not saying this has happened to me (it has), and that it won't happen again (it will), but in the summer months especially, I try to eat on the lighter, cooler side.  When there's a heat wave moving through your city and you spend all day feeling hot and gross, salads are seriously the way to go.  Having the ingredients ready and handy will do the trick.  

This is the All-in Super Salad because whatever was "all-in" the fridge, I put into the bowl.  Simple as that. Check out your local farmers market and see what's good and in season.  Stock up on whatever looks good.  If your favorite supermarket is having a sale on mushrooms or baby carrots, grab them! The Shop-rite in South Philly always has a good deal on bagged lettuce. so I buy as many as I can when I'm there because if it's in my fridge, I'll eat it.  My point is: eating healthfully doesn't have to be expensive, time consuming, or without flavor.  In fact, I like making this kind of salad so much, I'm thinking about buying a bigger bowl.  Now, eat and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment